Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Lots of questions and plenty of answers, some of them new

Editor's note: This is a reworking of a piece I did three years ago. A few of the answers are different. I'm hoping it's maturity.

 I was reading Vanity Fair in the doctor’s office and I came across the leading man interviews with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Daniel Craig. What fascinated me were the questions, apparently an interview format developed by Marcel Proust. So I thought I would interview myself, using those questions.

Here goes:

Q. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A. My children and grandchildren.

Q. What is your greatest fear?
A. Hurting the people I love or seeing someone else hurt them.

Q. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
A. H.L. Mencken.

Q. Which living person do you most admire?
A. My daughter Pauline.

Q. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
A. I give up too easily.

Q. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
A. Self-righteousness.

Q. What is your greatest extravagance?
A. My collection of movies on DVD.

Piazza San Marco, Venice
Q. What is your favorite journey?
A. Ten days in Venice with my wife in 2003.

Q. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
A. Patience.

Q. On what occasion do you lie?
A. To spare someone’s feelings.

Q. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
A. Wild fluctuations in weight.

Q. Which living person do you most despise?
A. Dick Cheney.

Q. What words or phrase do you most overuse?
A. "I’ll tell you what …"

Q. Which talent would you most like to have?
A. Being able to sing well.

Q. What is your current state of mind?
A. Frustrated.

Q. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
A. My work ethic.

Q. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
A. I would make my wife healthier, both in spirit and in body.

Q. What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?
A. Playing the small role I did in helping my children grow from wonderful kids with great potential into high-achieving adults.

Q. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
A. Someone who works very hard and perseveres despite average talents. Or maybe a kangaroo.

Q. What is your most treasured possession?
A. The love of my family and friends.

Q. Where would you like to live?
A. Wherever my wife Nicole is. Or maybe northern Canada.

Q. What is your favorite occupation?
A. The five years I spent as a newspaper columnist.

Q. What is the quality you like most in a man?
A. Unselfishness.

Q. What is the quality you like most in a woman?
A. Kindness. A good sense of humor. Also large breasts. Just kidding.

Q. What is your greatest regret?
A. The fact that I probably won’t live long enough to see how things turn out as adults for my grandchildren.

Q. What do you value the most in your friends?
A. The wonderful history that we share together.

Q. Who are your favorite writers?
A. Pat Conroy, Robert B. Parker, Bob Greene, Dan Jenkins.

Q. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
A. Atticus Finch, Jonathan Kent, Billy Clyde Puckett.

Q. Who are your heroes in real life?
A. My wife and children.

Q. What is it that you most dislike?
A. People who carry water politically for the mega-rich.

Q. How would you like to die?
A. Peacefully, with the people I love close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...