Sunday, June 29, 2014

Don't steal from others, give them a hand up

Are we really so flawed, so underevolved, that we see logic in the idea of getting what we need by taking it from someone else by force or tricking them out of it?

It's a big question, maybe even a silly one.

We are what we are and we'll never be any better. At least that's what we tell ourselves, and if we convince ourselves, the world will never be much better than an abattoir. We speak of Survival of the Fittest, and we say that Only the Strong Survive, but that doesn't mean that those of us who are strong should survive by hurting the weak.

What sort of people do you admire?

People who succeed no matter what they have to do, no matter who they have to hurt? Or people who understand that they are not the pinnacle of creation and that we live most nobly when we put the needs of others ahead of our own?

Is it really so difficult to understand, when every religion known to man except for Satanism is built around the law of reciprocity, a law we also know as the Golden Rule?

I hold no brief for anyone who succeeds by knowingly hurting others.

I accept the fact that there are people who get rich at the expense of others, but don't ask me to like or respect them. I'm always going to admire Mother Teresa before I admire Donald Trump. I'm always going to admire Warren Buffett more than I admire all the Kochs and Waltons there are in the world.

I do believe that we are our brothers' keepers, and I could even include Trump in that category, but only if I owned a zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...