Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Looking forward to a long summer watching baseball on MLB.TV

It has been a long long time since I was a sports fan.

I worked as a sportswriter from 1978 through 1995, covering everything from high school wrestling matches to Super Bowl XXVII at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

I suppose it was a little like not wanting to eat sausage once you have seen it made. But more than that, it was training myself to be impartial, never to cheer in the press box.

I was still a fan in some respects. I followed Virginia basketball pretty closely, I cared a lot about the Washington Redskins until Jack Kent Cooke died and I became a Dodger fan during 20 years living in Southern California. I truly believe there is no better place in the world to watch baseball than at Dodger Stadium.

But a couple of things happened the last few years that got me interested again. First, Coach Tony Bennett made Virginia into a basketball power again, with the Cavaliers going 30-7 in 2014 and 30-4 this year. CBS Sports actually has them as an early preseason No. 1 for next year.

Also, baseball came back to Washington and the Nationals got good.

I still wasn't watching much on television, but this year with Nicole ill, I spend a lot more time at home. So this week I signed up for a season subscription to MLB.TV, which gives me access to all the baseball I could ever want to see.

Vin Scully
I bounce around between two or three games at a time and I'm loving it. Best of all, though, is television from Dodger home games and getting to hear Vin Scully. He's 87 years old and in his 66th season broadcasting games. When he started, I was four months old.

The thing that is so wonderful about Scully is that he is so smooth. Add to that the fact that he sounds like everybody's best friend and you have a very enjoyable broadcast.

I've got to figure he's getting pretty close to the end of a wonderful career, though. Eighty-seven years old is impressive still to be as good as he is. Heck, just being alive and working at all is impressive.

And just in case this is the last one, I'm subscribed. Even if it does mean I'll be staying up late some nights for games from Blue Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...