Sunday, July 8, 2018

Minnesota trip had more ups than downs

Albanie Yvonne at 3 1/2
The second half of June was pretty eventful this year, although not without some difficulties.

We had been planning for some months to go to Minnesota to attend the wedding/blending ceremony of our daughter Pauline and her new husband, Johnathan Roy.

Each of them brought three children to the new family, a sort of "Brady Bunch" for the 21st century. So our number of grandchildren doubled from three to six just like that.

Things began badly when he missed our flight to Minneapolis, although we were able to get onto another flight less than an hour and a half later. It only cost us an additional $700 or so.

I'm not going to list the other difficulties. I'll just say it was wonderful finally to meet Malachi, Simon and Coen, our three new grandsons, and it is always wonderful to spend time with Madison, Lexington and little Albanie.

Western Minnesota was a revelation too. I think there were 50 lakes within 10 miles of us, some little more than ponds but some that were maybe two steps below Great Lake status. Johnathan's parents live on the shore of Lake Amelia, near Glenwood. It's not huge at 910 acres, but it's 69 feet deep at its deepest point, and the view is really beautiful.


I had been cautioned that the Roys were politically conservative and I should keep my opinions to myself. I might have had trouble with that when I was 18 and felt I should convert the world, but that was half a century ago. Politics never came up, and Rick and Mickey, our hosts, are the two nicest people I have met in a long, long time.

Everyone and more
I had been excited at the thought of going to Minnesota because I thought I could add two more states -- North Dakota and Wisconsin -- to the list of states I've visited.

I made it to one of them. It was a two-hour drive to Fargo, but I finally proved to myself that North Dakota really does exist and isn't just a name to complete the list.

Seriously, though, I dated a girl from Fargo nearly 40 years ago, so I sort of knew.

Unless she was lying.

The irony of it is that while I made it to North Dakota, I didn't get to Wisconsin even though the state line was just 30 miles from the Minneapolis airport.

We made it back to the Twin Cities Wednesday afternoon, and even though our flight wasn't till the middle of the evening Thursday, Nicole was worn out from the week. Neither of us travel as well as we once did.

We did make it to the Mall of America, which impressed me despite my determination not to be impressed. Yes, it was massive. Yes, it had every store I could imagine and a few I couldn't. But the most impressive thing to me was the amazing number and quality of places to eat.

No kidding. A kilt store.
When we finally flew out, our flight was nearly 2 1/2 hours late leaving for Atlanta. Another hour and a half spent finding our car and it was after 4:30 a.m. when we made it home.

Quite the trip.

I don't think we'll be going anywhere for a while, although a trip looming on the horizon for the end of the year to visit Virgile and Sterling in Paraguay will take some major preparation.

And while I still have four states to visit to make it to all 50, this upcoming trip will add a continent to my list.

I guess that's worth the 16-hour flight.

2 comments:

  1. See, Mike, conservatives are people, too...we have parents, spouses, children and beautiful grandchildren like every one else! Congratulations to the new blended family!

    ReplyDelete

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...