Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Klobuchar coming out of the shadows for Democrats

“There’s an old story of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and when he died, his body was put on a train and went up across America, and there was a guy standing by those tracks along with so many Americans, and he had his hat on his chest and he was sobbing, and a reporter said, ‘Sir, did you know the president?’ And the guy says, ‘No, I didn’t know the president, but he knew me. He knew me.’ I will tell you this, there is a complete lack of empathy in this guy in the White House right now. 

"I will bring that to you. “If you have trouble stretching your paycheck to pay for that rent, I know you and I will fight for you. If you have trouble deciding if you’re going to pay for your childcare or your long-term care, I know you and I will fight for you. If you have trouble figuring out if you’re going to fill your refrigerator or fill your prescription drug, I know you and I will fight for you.”
-- AMY KLOBUCHAR, Feb. 8, 2020


Senator Amy Klobuchar

I think it was last September when I first put the bumper sticker on my car.

I spent a lot of time thinking about who I would support this year. In many ways, I think the 2020 election might be the most important of the last 50 years.

I had thought for a long time I might be supporting a senator from Minnesota for president in 2020. Of course, I once thought it would be Al Franken.


But Republicans set him up on a semi-phony sexual harassment charge and the oh-so-liberal Democrats piled on to show how good they were. And just like that, one of the finest men in the Senate was gone.

Of course Minnesota still had more to offer America. The state that gave us Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Paul Wellstone and other great liberals still had Amy Klobuchar to offer.


She isn't exceptionally charismatic, she's a good but not great orator and she doesn't have a whole lot of world-changing ideas. But she's as solid a Democrat as there is, in the traditional of the great Minnesotans and of course, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

As I write this, Klobuchar is a solid third with about a third of the votes in. She's behind Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg, and has more votes than Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden combined. Folks have been calling most of the Democratic candidates flawed in one way or another (too old, too young, too far left, too little experience, etc.), but Amy seems to be the one candidate without any serious weaknesses.

It's a long way from third in New Hampshire to winning the nomination in Milwaukee, but Klobuchar is at least making a good start.

Amy for America.

I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...