Sunday, April 5, 2020

Americans dying due to Trump's horrific priorities

NYC

"I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps ..."

The last time I visited New York City was a little less than two and a half years ago.

It was the first time I had been in Manhattan since the mid 1990s, when my middle sister got married.

In October 2017, Nicole and I stayed in a hotel near the Empire State Building. We only had two days and three nights, and it was raining hard one of those days.

Mostly, we visited Ground Zero and the museum that honored the events of Sept. 11, 2001. It was sort of overwhelming, but as I look at pictures of present-day New York, I find myself thinking that not even Osama bin Laden could shut New York down the way the Coronavirus has.

I imagine we'll go back at some point. I know my wife wants to. NYC is one of my three favorite American cities I have visited numerous times but never lived there. The other two are on the West Coast, San Francisco and Seattle.

When we visited NYC in the fall of 2017, the streets were as crowded -- even on the rainy night -- as anywhere I've ever been. I cannot even comprehend streets as empty as in the picture above.


One could certainly argue that a virus is no one's fault, that the resulting pandemic is just bad luck. One could argue that, but they would be wrong.

Donald Trump spent more than two months that could have been used for testing, social distancing and treatment arguing that it was no big deal. His right-wing Amen Chorus even said the Coronavirus was a hoax by Democrats to hurt Trump's re-election campaign.

He put keeping the economy strong ahead of saving lives.

There's a wonderful piece in The Atlantic that lists all the lies Trump told and the damage they did in delaying our response to it. In fact, comparing the U.S. response to South Korea is very informative. As soon as the first cases showed up, South Korea began widespread testing, treatment and social distancing.

As of Friday, South Korea had only 174 deaths, which would be the equivalent of 1,100 or so in the U.S. Our total? More than 9,300 as of today and many more to come. In fact, we have more than 4,100 dead in just one state -- New York.

I don't think we can blame Trump for the virus, but he bears a great deal of responsibility for the fact that we're expected to have more than 93,000 dead in this country by August.

Of course, he doesn't believe that.

Everything good that happens is because of him and everything bad is someone else's fault.

The stock market -- Trump's pride and joy -- has given back most of its gains, and the jobless rate is soaring toward numbers not seem since the Great Depression.

This might sound terrible, but anyone who thinks Trump deserves another term is too stupid to vote.

Pretty sure he won't get many votes in NYC.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...