Sunday, June 23, 2013

A little variety in golf courses can make for a lot of fun

There's one thing difficult about living two blocks away from a golf course.

It's tough to get motivated to play anywhere except there.

When I became a member at Sun City Peachtree, where I can play 18 holes for $8 any weekday and $10 any weekend, I also was given the same status at two other clubs. Heron Bay in Locust Grove is 10 miles away and Georgia National in McDonough is 15 miles from here.

So in the last 2 1/2 years, I played Sun City several hundred times and never once made my way to either of the other two.


Until Thursday.

Thursday I went out to play nine holes, but the course was jammed. So I drove over to Heron Bay and played nine holes. It was enjoyable enough that Friday I went back and played 18.

I was lucky enough to be the first one out after a tournament, so I was able to zip through 18 holes in less than 2 1/2 hours.

It's a very different course than I'm accustomed to playing. Heron Bay has so many bunkers that by the time I reached the back nine I was expecting to see camels.

My second times out, I played the front nine pretty well, shooting a 43. The back nine was tougher and I was tired on a hot, muggy day, and I only shot 50. Still, 93 the first time around on a new, tougher course wasn't really horrible.

I'll try it again. Ten miles isn't that far to drive for a little variety.

I may even drive over to McDonough and try the other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...