Saturday, June 15, 2013

As we get older, things change in our lives

There are so many things we take for granted when we're young.

Things we lose when we're older. When I was 18 or 19, I was a pretty good basketball player. I was a streaky shooter, but when I was on, I could sink four or five 20-footers in a row. But when I took my basketball and went out onto the outdoor court here at Sun City last week, I couldn't make a shot from more than three feet.

That doesn't particularly bother me. Whether or not I can still play basketball at age 63 is real low on my list of concerns. I never had better than mediocre jumping ability, and now my vertical leap isn't more than an inch or two.

What I miss a lot more is not being able to eat some of the things I used to love, particularly late at night. In my early 20s, my friends and I used to close down the bars in Georgetown at 2 a.m. and then go out for pizza.

I remember 1970 in particular. It was the first time in my life that I had a real girlfriend, and there were plenty of times we found ourselves at Mario's Pizza in Arlington. The pizza came in squares, not slices, and I seem to remember they were 35 cents each that spring.

We would eat the pizza and then I'd drive her back to her dorm and head home myself.

I always slept great.

Now if I eat anything that isn't completely bland after about 8 p.m., I'm up half the night. Of course, I'm not going out to nightclubs, bars or even the movies late in the evening. Most nights, I find myself in bed by 10 p.m.

When I was home three years ago, I went by Mario's and had a couple of squares. I enjoyed them, but it wasn't the same as it was in 1970.

It reminds me of an old song.

I could get back to the place, but not the time.

Such is life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...