Saturday, August 3, 2013

Happy birthday to an extremely special person

I didn't meet my daughter until she was 12 years old.

Pauline was 12 and Virgile was 7 when I married their mother and became their stepfather. Ever since the fall of 1992, I have had the opportunity to watch two of the most amazing young people on the planet grow to adulthood.

Pauline and Virgile in 2005.
I know I brag on my children a lot, but today is Pauline's birthday and I am going to do it again.

My daughter works for the Department of State as a Foreign Service officer, and she is currently serving at her fourth posting. She has been getting every possible promotion at the earliest opportunity and she is already making twice as much money as I ever made at any job I ever had.

Those are both good things, but they aren't the best things about Pauline. The very best thing about her is her love of family and her loyalty to the people who love her. A couple of years ago, I was writing a piece about basic truths of life, and of all the people I asked for their opinions, Pauline gave the most interesting answer.

"I always put my family first -- no exceptions."

Pauline at work.
She has two children. Madison will be 5 next month and Lexington will be 2 in November, and Pauline has told me that when her kids are older, she will assess how the frequent moves are affecting them and then decide whether she can stay with her current career plan.

And yes, she will give up her great job and her great career if she deems it better for her children.

A lot of people talk the talk, but my daughter is one person who absolutely walks the walk.

Happy 33rd, Pauline.

You know how much I love you.

But I also want you to know -- just as much -- how proud I have always been of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...