Thursday, April 24, 2014

He's older, I'm older but McCartney is still worth seeing in concert

Back in February, right around the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, I wrote that I had never had the opportunity to see the Fab Four in concert.

I also wrote that in May 1976, I had missed the one chance I ever had to see Paul McCartney in concert.

I was 26 then, and going to concerts was a big part of my life.

It isn't anymore. With the exception of a Beach Boys concert at the Los Angeles County Fair in September 2010, the last time I went to a concert was in a different millennium.

Madigan
Actually, I have gone to a couple of shows in the last few years, but both of them were comedy shows -- Jim Gaffigan and Kathleen Madigan.

I actually had tickets to see Tony Bennett and Jackie Evancho last year, but my wife was recuperating from spinal surgery and wasn't up to going.

I really figured that was the last time I would buy concert tickets. I've got more than 11,000 songs on my iPod, so I get all the music I want whenever I want it.

But when I checked my email today, I had one from my country club. Members are given the opportunity to buy tickets to certain events before they go on sale to the general public. It's usually sports tickets for Atlanta events, but occasionally concert tickets pop up for purchase.

Today, surprise of surprises, I saw that tickets were going on sale to the public tomorrow for -- believe it or not -- Paul McCartney.

It has been 38 years since I missed my chance to see him at Capital Centre. I was 26 that summer and McCartney was 33.

Wings Over America was one of his best tours. He was young and in his prime and I was, well, I was young.

Neither of us is young anymore. When McCartney performs on June 21st at Phillips Arena, he'll be two days past his 72nd birthday. I'll be 64 and I'll be in the audience.

Tickets are a lot more expensive than they used to be. I bought two out of the third price group of five and I still spent more than I've ever spent for a show before -- about $210.

That's a lot of money for concert tickets, but when I'm on my death bed, I don't think Ill be saying I wish I hadn't spent the money. On the other hand, I would definitely say I wish I had seen Paul McCartney.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...