Monday, July 7, 2014

When it comes to children, some things are way beyond forgiveness

I was never fortunate enough to be the father of a baby.

I have two wonderful children, but I didn't come into their lives until they were 12 and 7. Other than very faint memories of my own younger siblings, the only first-hand experience I had was in October 2008 in Beijing when I held my tiny granddaughter in my arms and she fell asleep on my chest.

October 2008
It was an incredible moment, one of those that I will remember till the day I die. I know other people who feel the same way. My wonderful friend Mick Curran has three children, and he was in the delivery room each time.

I learned that when I turned a page in one of his photo albums and saw a full-page color shot of his firstborn, half in the world and half out of it. I have since become a lot more cautious looking at photo albums.

But that's not the point of this. Like many other people, I have been horrified by the story of the Georgia father who has been charged with murder for leaving his infant son in a hot car.

Cooper Harris, just 22 months old when he died, was left strapped in his car seat in a locked car for seven hours with the temperature in the high 80s. His father had taken out two insurance policies on him, had been visiting websites about living a child-free life and others where he was exchanging obscene photos with various women.

Victim and father

When he "discovered" his son's dead body in the car, he didn't even call 911. He started calling relatives, presumably setting up his story.

I really don't want to say much more about Justin Harris, other than to suggest that he may already have realized he made a big mistake.

I don't believe in capital punishment, but there was a phrase that always struck me as very evocative.

"He was beaten within an inch of his life."

That seems fair to me, although I also think it's quite possible Mr. Harris will develop if not a penchant at least a tolerance for being the passive partner in frequent anal adventures.

If he even gets to live. Most inmates have very little tolerance for other inmates who hurt children.

Lexington, Pauline, Madison and Ryan
I actually knew someone in California who went to prison for child molestation. I believe he was killed by a fellow inmate before he had served a year. I had a great deal to do with sending him to prison, and I expected something like this would happen.

I certainly don't feel bad that it did. The man molested seven children, including his own 3-year-old daughter. The world is a better place without him.

The world is also a far better place because my daughter Pauline, her husband Ryan and their children Maddie and Lex are part of the world.

And because a third grandchild -- a second granddaughter -- is coming this October. Little Albanie Yvonne will add another star to my sky.

I have never understood how anyone could harm a child. If it were necessary, I would give my life for any of my grandchildren and also for my daughter. If you don't see the name of my son-in-law there, it isn't that I wouldn't. Heck, I've had a long life. I probably would put my life on the line to save him if needed. I'm still thinking that one through.

Kelsey, Sean and impossibly young me.
But there are other wonderful children I love too. My Massachusetts nephews, Jacob and Nathan, are both nearly grown. My friend Mickey's children Sean and Kelsey are full-grown adults now, and I have loved both of them since they were tiny kids. I don't mean to leave his daughter Shannon out of it -- she's a great kid -- but she came along so late I have never had the chance to get to know her.

No one I know, no one I value as a human being, would ever knowingly hurt a child. To me that's the easiest division between worthwhile people and worthless people.

Just to give one more thought to the tragedy here in Georgia, let's assume for a minute the Bad Dad didn't intend to kill his little son.

It's a real stretch to believe, but let's say Cooper's death was an accident and Bad Dad just forgot he was in the car.

It doesn't matter.

He's still worthless. It's terrible enough to forget and leave a dog in the hot car, but a little kid?

Sorry, Justin.

No forgiveness for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Biden eliminate windows, abolish suburbs?

Well, so much for that. We absolutely can't elect Joe Biden president. He wants to abolish windows. And the suburbs, for goodness sa...